Students who matriculate with the required subjects and wish to complete their studies in Mechanical Engineering qualify to register for the N4 – N6 courses. Students with an N2 can apply to do their trade test. They will need to complete a 2 – year apprenticeship and then do their trade test. This is necessary for all students who want to complete their diplomas.

Students who complete the N4 – N6 certificates can move on to become qualified engineers. The students are also suitably qualified to enter the higher level of engineering to become technicians and assistants to qualified engineers. Engineers have to meet certain practical requirements. Once a student has completed his/her N4 – N6 Certificates, he/she should work towards obtaining a National N-Diploma.

Students will qualify for the N-Diploma when they have completed at least two years of practical work experience in their specific field of study. Students who wish to further their academic qualifications may apply to any other institution of Higher Education, such as the University of Technology.

  • Motor Mechanic
  • Motor Mechanic General
  • Automotive Motor Mechanic
  • Diesel Mechanic
  • Boilermakers
  • Mechanical Fitter
  • Welders
  • Toolmaker
What will I be qualified as once I’ve obtained the National N-Diploma?

The holder of a National N-Diploma in Mechanical Engineering will be able to take up employment in one of the following fields:

  • Assistant Mechanical Engineer
  • Auto Electrician
  • Diesel Mechanic
  • Fitter & Turner
  • Mechanical Engineering Technician
  • Motor Mechanic
  • Tool Maker
  • Welder
  • Fitter (e.g. Maintenance Fitter, Marine Fitter, Hydraulic Fitter, etc.)
  • Rigger
  • Boilermaker
In which industries will I be able to work?

The National N-Diploma in Mechanical engineering can open the door to many different industries including:

  • Aerospace industry
  • Automotive industry
  • Manufacturing industry
  • Mining industry
  • Packaging industry
  • Motor vehicle maintenance and manufacturing
  • Petrol and chemical industry
  • Printing industry
  • Engineering sales
What could I do to further improve my skills and my chances of furthering my career?

Your N2 Certificate will equip you to be indentured (sign a contract) as an apprentice and work at any organisation within the industry that requires artisans within the engineering sector.  You will be able to work towards promotion within your career by working within your field of study and gaining experience within the industry.  As with any other career, you would need to work very hard to prove your skills and abilities, be dedicated and be prepared to continue learning throughout your career. Once you’ve completed your N6 Certificate, you should work towards obtaining your National N-Diploma.  Students will qualify for the N-Diploma when they have completed at least two years of practical work experience in the field of study.  Students who wish to further their academic qualifications may apply to any other institution of Higher Education, such as the University of Technology to further continue their studies in the Engineering field.

Can I study part time?

Yes, depending on number of students registered or another option is correspondence The National N-Diploma (practical) portion of this qualification is not available as a part-time option.


During the various National Lockdown Levels, it is important that the following minimum protocols are adhered to by all staff, students and visitors:

  • Participation in health checks and screenings
  • Maintaining of social distancing
  • Wearing of masks at all times
  • Sanitization when entering the campus


  • Mathematics
  • Engineering Science
  • Supervisory Management
  • Electrotechnics
  • Industrial Electronics
  • Mechanotechnics
  • Machines & Properties of Metals
  • Mathematics
  • Engineering Science
  • Supervisory Management
  • Strength of Materials & Structures
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • Mechanotechnics
  • Electrotechnics
  • Power Machines
  • Mathematics
  • Engineering Science
  • Supervisory Management
  • Machines & Properties of Metals
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • Control Systems
  • Electrotechnics
  • Power Machines

All examinations are external (national).

Admission Requirements

N4: Grade 12 (with related subjects and a 50% pass), N3 Certificate or equivalent qualification

N5: N4 Certificate or equivalent qualification

N6: N5 Certificate or equivalent qualification

Which subjects do I need to pass at school?

Maths, Science and English.

The criteria for application for the National N-Diploma are:
  • A minimum of 4 subjects completed at each level of certification
  • A minimum of 2 years of practical experience in the field of study.
  • If a student wants to qualify as a competent engineer with a GCC he must do 6 subjects per level from N4 to N6 & then apply to write their LAW exam

1 year full-time (each level is 12 weeks). 2 years practical work experience in industry for a National N-Diploma.

When can I enroll?

Enrolment in January, May or September.

Part Time studies:

Only offered when sufficient students register. Alternatively correspondence is also an option.



Option 1: Complete the online ‘Contact us Form’ and one of the iCALC staff members will contact you.

Option 2: Complete the ‘Registration Form’ and email your form to, along with all supporting documents.

Option 3: Come to our campus and let us help you fill in all the forms.


The submission is checked, and all supporting documentation is verified.


Successful applicants will be required to pay the registration fee and first installment or deposit to finalize their registration.

The Registration is then captured and submitted, and your student number will then be issued.